Indiana football lands All-American transfer cornerback D’Angelo Ponds

20240402_cignetti_0012.jpg

Indiana football head coach Curt Cignetti hinted at potential post-spring additions to the secondary, and the Hoosiers reeled in a big fish Saturday. 

Former James Madison University cornerback D’Angelo Ponds, who On3 named a Freshman All-American last year, announced his commitment to the Hoosiers via X, formerly known as Twitter. 

The 5-foot-9-inch, 165-pound Ponds recorded 51 tackles, two tackles for loss, a pair of interceptions and 15 passes defended across 13 appearances this past season. 

He was targeted 66 times but allowed only 30 receptions for 259 yards and three touchdowns, according to Pro Football Focus. Of his 715 snaps, 628 came at outside corner, offering insight to his potential role in the fall. 

In Bloomington, Ponds reunites with Cignetti and defensive coordinator Bryant Haines, who recruited him to James Madison and coached him in 2023. 

Ponds, who hails from West Park, Florida, was a second-team All-Sun Belt Conference selection and earned Freshman All-American nods from the Football Writers Association of America and the College Football Network. 

The back end of Indiana’s defense needed reinforcements after losing starting cornerback Kobee Minor to the transfer portal April 29, and Ponds, who had a decorated freshman season with the Dukes, figures to be a quality addition for the next three years in Bloomington. 

Follow reporters Dalton James (@DaltonMJames) and Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana football offseason.