Indiana men’s basketball standout Kel’el Ware earns NBA Combine invite

Iu vs Penn State -Big10-Finasl -12.jpg

Former Indiana men’s basketball center Kel’el Ware will be one of 78 players participating in the NBA Combine, the league announced May 3. Ware is the Hoosiers’ lone representative. 

The 7-foot Ware led Indiana with 15.9 points, 9.9 rebounds and 1.9 blocks per game while shooting a team-best 58.6% from the field during the 2023-24 season. He was named a second-team All-Big Ten honoree by the media, third team by the conference’s coaches and earned a spot on the Big Ten All-Defensive team. 

A former 5-star recruit, Ware only spent one year with the Hoosiers, as he transferred to Bloomington from the University of Oregon after his true freshman season. 

Ware, a native of North Little Rock, Arkansas, is widely projected as a late first-round pick. He’d be Indiana’s second consecutive first-rounder, following in the footsteps of now-Los Angeles Lakers guard Jalen Hood-Schifino, who went No. 17 overall last year. 

The Golden State Warriors drafted former Indiana forward Trayce Jackson-Davis at No. 57 last season, setting the table for Ware to give the Hoosiers three draftees in a two-year span. 

The 2024 NBA Combine runs from May 12-19 at Wintrust Arena in Chicago. 

Follow reporters Will Foley (@foles24) and Matt Press (@MattPress23) and columnist Daniel Flick (@ByDanielFlick) for updates throughout the Indiana men’s basketball offseason.