IU golf coach accepts assistant job at Southern Cal

IU assistant coach Josh Brewer was named the assistant coach for men’s and women’s golf at perennial powerhouse Southern California on Aug. 22, ending a six-year term at IU.

Over the previous six years, Brewer coached alongside IU coach Mike Mayer for the men’s golf team.

Brewer also played for the Hoosier golf team from 1994-1998, including representing the Hoosiers at the 1996 NCAA Championships his sophomore year.

Brewer’s experience as both a player and a coach attracted Kurt Schuette, the director of golf for USC, to consider him for the job.

“Josh has experience at a high level as a player and a coach,” Schuette said by phone Tuesday.

Schuette first met Brewer at a U.S. Junior competition in Birmingham, Ala., in July, while both of them were on recruiting trips.

Brewer’s hire was necessitated by a rule implemented by the NCAA in January that allowed for an additional person to play the dual role of coach and recruiter. The previous rules allowed only one person to have this position.

The Trojans narrowed their search to five candidates before selecting Brewer.

Schuette and Brewer discussed the job over dinner, and the latter expressed interest in the position. When initially offered the job, Brewer said he was overwhelmed and excited about the chance to go to a top-notch golf program like USC.

“It’s a great opportunity and made me realize that all the hard work I have done has paid off,” Brewer said by phone Tuesday.

During the search process, Schuette contacted Mayer for his input. The IU coach spoke highly of Brewer, and said he thought it was a good career move for his now-former colleague. 

Brewer will go to a more high-profile school, which could help him land a head coaching job in the future. Brewer said his goal is to become a head coach.

USC’s men finished third at NCAAs last spring, while the women claimed the NCAA championship.

Many of the players on the team are happy for their former coach, said senior Brandon Pike.

“This will give him credentials for the head coaching job that we know he wants,” Pike said.

Pike added that Brewer loved IU greatly and was a big part of building the Hoosiers into a top 20 program.

Brewer – a lifelong IU fan – said leaving the University was not easy, citing memories of watching NCAA basketball championships and athletes like Isiah Thomas and football player Anthony Thompson.

The Hoosiers and Trojans will meet at a few major tournaments before the NCAA Championships, including the Isleworth-UCF Collegiate Invitational from Oct. 26-28.
Brewer said it will be odd going to tournaments in Trojan colors, but said he still has a special place in his heart for IU.

“I will be wishing them the best,” he said, “even though I won’t always be rooting for them.”