Summer Concert Band performs on MAC lawn

Music echoed across Jordan avenue, blending with the distant sound of a train whistle.

The IU summer music series moved outside Wednesday evening for a free concert on the Musical Arts Center lawn.

The Summer Concert Band, conducted by Stephen W. Pratt performed 7 p.m., Wednesday on the MAC lawn for a crowd of more than two hundred people. The crowd spread out on lawn chairs and blankets on the MAC lawn. Friends, families and music lovers alike sat together to enjoy the show.

The outdoor concerts offer a special opportunity for the audience to enjoy a free show in the fresh summer air.

Bonnie Lorenzen, a PhD student in speech and hearing was at the show with her family.

“This is the first (performance) I’ve gone to this summer,” Lorenzen said. “I have a one year old so it has to be an outdoor concert.”

The summer concerts are more conducive to families with young children, and all the tiny members of the audience seemed to be enjoying themselves as many stared mesmerized at the full band playing less than 30 feet away.

Pratt addressed the audience several times during the performance.

“These next pieces by LeRoy Anderson are some of the most famous pieces you have ever heard, although you may not know it,” Pratt said. “But as soon as you hear it you’ll go ‘Oh, I know that!’”

IU staff member Becky Curtis and her daughter Michelle Harker sat on the sidewalk listening to the performance.

“We heard about this from a flyer in the music school,” Harker said. “We’re very interested in attending more performances.”

Curtis said she got really interested in Jacobs events after taking a class at the music school. She said she was able to pick out the different instruments being played during the performance as a result of her Jacobs school class.

“I love the outdoors when the weather is like this,” Curtis said. “Enjoy nature and music.”