State aid, building projects will top trustees’ meeting

The IU Board of Trustees will give University project updates and discuss a new budget at its next meeting June 19-20 on the IU-South Bend campus.\nAn approval of IU’s 2009-2011 budget for state aid will be the most important issue during the meeting, said IU Spokesman Larry MacIntyre. IU-Bloomington’s previous budget was $1.1 billion, MacIntyre said, with $218.6 million of that coming from the Indiana government. The new budget, which will be a similar amount, will be presented to the state legislature in January, MacIntyre said. \nThe trustee meeting will be broken into different sessions and committees spanning over the two-day period, including Academic Affairs and University Policies, Facilities, Finance and Audit and External Relations Committees. The meetings will include various updates on all of the campuses, including presentations on building projects by University Architect Bob Meadows and a presentation on IU’s Information Technology Strategic Plan by Vice President for Information Technology Brad Wheeler.\nProjects on a few of IU’s eight campuses will also be up for approval. One project includes laboratory renovations in Jordan Hall, which would cost about $2 million and create three laboratories on the ground and first floors of the building. Another proposed IU-Bloomington project involves infrastructure changes to the IU Data Center, which houses IU’s Big Red supercomputer.