Alumni receive awards, visit IU

Various alumni who have contributed to the IU Alumni Association and their respective communities were honored this weekend during IU’s annual Cream and Crimson \nAlumni Weekend.\nFive former students were presented Friday with the Alumni Association President’s Award \nfor their contributions to the Alumni Association, according to an IU news release. Don Goelzer, Paula Griesel, Ronald Lind, Lindy Moss and \nOneita Phillips won the award.\nAnother five alumni were given the Distinguished Alumni Service Award at a dinner on Saturday, based on their University, community and personal accomplishments, said Mike Wright, an Alumni Association representative. Recipients included Sallie Rowland, the first woman to serve as president of the Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission and the Economic Club of Indianapolis, and Tony Mobley, who led the School of Health, Physical Education and Recreation \nfor 26 years. Others presented with the award were former Alumni Association President Kenneth Beckley, Joseph Russel, who created various \nIU African American departments and programs, and Desmond Wong, president and CEO of Chicago’s Sino Strategies Group.\n“It’s the highest award the University reserves strictly for alumni,” Wright said.\nAt a barbecue on Saturday, alumni Hank Warren and Becky Hart Fox also received the Bill Orwig Medal and the Gertrude Rich Award, respectively, for their contributions\nto IU, according to the news release.\nThe annual weekend featured breakfasts in various schools across campus, a barbecue at the Virgil T. DeVault Alumni Center, an Alumni Association Executive Council meeting and various reunions, Wright said. Alumni who graduated 50 years ago were also \ninducted into the Alumni Association Emeritus Club, according to the news release.