A call from the mountaintops

Have you ever noticed how, in the humdrum of casual, college-kid conversation, the topic of politics is regarded with aversion and distaste? I fully understand the ominous feeling that overtakes you when you really aren’t ready to reveal some of your most personal convictions, especially to someone who gets a kick out of finding some superficial basis for argument.\nBut the old adage about avoiding religion and politics at dinner parties falls short of describing this peculiar characteristic of young adults who are now beginning to participate in and learn about our precious democratic process.\nI can’t think of a clearer, more obnoxious example than the “Political Views” personal information tab on people’s Facebook profiles. While it’s entirely optional to make this information public (along with your sexual orientation, birthday, etc.), if you’re going to be open and honest about where your beliefs and experiences fall on our ideological spectrum, is it really necessary to select “Other”?\nBetter to leave that portion blank than indulge in the pretentious ambiguity surrounding this description of your “ideals” – supposedly so far removed from the party-bound sentiments of the masses that you can’t afford to waste your breath on anyone curious for your opinion.\nSince the advent of the blog and sites like Facebook, this self-righteous cynicism towards our political system has taken root and become emblematic of today’s youth culture. People take every opportunity possible to distract themselves from the increasingly civic nature of lives as coming-of-age citizens. \nYet as 2008 approaches its pivotal halfway point, it’s also become more difficult to hide behind vague, self-created labels. It’s even more important for people to get involved than perhaps 40 years ago, in 1968. Then, as now, overseas conflict mixed with disillusionment about government leaders has mobilized a new generation to become more politically active than before. But it isn’t enough to just “be involved;” we have to figure out what we believe and participate constructively, instead of just watching. Personalized forms of media have made it easier to distort and delude ourselves as to what we really think, and much of the political discourse has been left to over-opinionated airheads who think they’re writing and prophesying history every time they open their mouths. \nIn spite of it all, however, there’s no exaggerating the youth-central energy behind this election. But it isn’t enough to just keep track, we have to first and foremost identify where and with whom we stand. However, there are plenty of people who, if they bothered to clarify their views, might sway this election. \nFor those under 30, the Washington Post estimated about 6.5 million participated in this year’s primaries or caucuses. Time Magazine found 7 of 10 people our age who avidly follow the race. So even if you aren’t sure which party to affiliate yourself with, don’t hesitate to take a side if that’s what you happen to truly believe. This might be the only time in your lifetime that it will matter this much. No matter who or what inspires you, vote! – and make it a call from the mountaintops.