3 Hoosiers earn All-American honors

Three Hoosiers have earned All-American honors for a season that came to a stop after a Cinderella run in the Big Ten Tournament.\nCatcher Josh Phegley led IU and the Big Ten this past season in nearly every offensive category. He also leads the Hoosiers in number of All-American nods at three.\nThe former Mr. Indiana Baseball was given Second Team All-American status by College Baseball News, the American Baseball Coaches Association and the National College Baseball Writers \nof America.\nPhegley finished his sophomore season leading the conference in average (.438), hits (98), total bases (167), sacrifice flies (9), OBP (.507) and RBI (80), and finished second in runs (69) and slugging percentage (.746).\nThe Terre Haute native is currently trying out for the USA Baseball National Team. The team is comprised of the nation’s top collegiate players. It is not the team which will be sent to Beijing for the Olympics as that is a professional team.\nRather, the USA national team plays in an international collegiate tournament, the IV FISU World Collegiate Baseball Championship. \nFirst baseman Jerrud Sabourin was one spot behind Phegley on IU in most offensive categories, and the transfer from Arizona was named Second Team Freshman All-American by the NCBA.\nThe former Wildcat started 59 games as a Hoosier and tallied a .383 batting average with 88 hits and 53 RBIs.\nStaff ace Matt Bashore joined Phegley in earning an All-Region nod from the ABCA. Phegley was First Team catcher as his battery mate was Second Team.