Monroe County History Center opens two new exhibits about life in 1908

“Light of the World” sculptor’s tools featured

COURTESY Monroe County Historical Society Collection
In this 1908 photograph sculptor Albert Jacob Molnar stands next to the "Light of the World" figures he carved for the south side of the Monroe County Courthouse.

The Monroe County History Center will hold a reception from 5 to 6:30 p.m. May 22 to celebrate the opening of two new exhibits. \nThe exhibits, “100 Years Under the Fish” and “Life in 1908,” are being presented in celebration of the 100th anniversary of the Monroe County Courthouse. \nFormer County Commissioner Charlotte Zietlow and County Commissioner and past president of the Monroe County Historical Society Joyce Poling will be on hand to discuss the courthouse’s history and why the building is still important to Monroe County residents.\n“100 Years Under the Fish” is an exhibit that presents the history of the construction and restoration of the building. Various artifacts are included in the exhibit, such as original drawings for the courthouse and tools that belonged to Albert Molnar, the sculptor who created the “Light of the World” figures on the south side of the building. \n“Life in 1908” presents a “portrait of life 100 years ago when most Monroe County residents still traveled by horse and buggy and read by kerosene lamps,” according to the Monroe County History Center’s Web site. Various artifacts from the era as well as a map documenting the city from 1907 will be on display. \nBoth exhibits will be open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday from now until Sept. 27 at the Monroe County History Center, 202 E. 6th St. Admission for each exhibit is $2 for adults, $1 for children and free for Monroe County Historical Society members. Call 332-2517 for more information.