IU responds to NCAA allegations

IU responded Monday to the NCAA's notice of allegations surrounding former men's basketball coach Kelvin Sampson and his staff. The response comes just weeks before a scheduled June 14 hearing to determine the final punishments to the program.\nIU agreed with the NCAA on all five major violations outlined in a Feb. 8 report in response to the University’s self-reported infractions by Sampson and his staff. However, the University said in the 756 page response released to the public Monday that the self-imposed punishments are sufficient for the infractions.\n“Indiana University continues to view this matter very seriously and believes the significant self-imposed sanctions and corrective actions remain appropriate and sufficient to respond to the violations that occurred and to send a strong message that complete commitment to NCAA compliance is expected and required of all coaches and staff,” the report said.\nThe five major allegations stem from actions taken by Sampson and his staff while the program was under NCAA probation for impermissible phone calls made by Sampson while he was coaching at Oklahoma. When he took the IU job in April 2006, the University imposed restrictions to comply with the NCAA ruling at Oklahoma.\nAccording to the report, allegations No. 1 and No. 2 pertain to improper phone calls that violated either the NCAA sanctions on Sampson or on general NCAA rules outlining the number of times a prospective student-athlete, his parents or coaches can be contacted by a coaching staff.\nThese two allegations specify that Sampson and former assistant coaches Rob Senderoff and Jeff Meyer exceeded the number of calls to potential student-athletes. Additionally, Sampson and Senderoff participated in improper three-way calls which violated the NCAA sanctions carried over from Oklahoma. \nThree members of last year’s team were among those who received improper phone calls, but their names were redacted from the report.\nAllegations No. 3 and No. 4 have to do with Sampson and Senderoff’s testimony to IU and NCAA investigators, specifically knowingly disobeying NCAA rules and then misleading the investigation.\n“After careful and thorough analysis of the documentary evidence and interview statements, the University determined that it is reasonable to conclude there is sufficient information and evidence to support the majority of the specific information alleged, as well as the general charges regarding each individual,” the report said.\nAllegation No. 5 is impermissible contact with future Hoosier and current Tipton High School junior Derek Elston. Sampson offered Elston a scholarship while the player was attending the IU elite camp last summer, which is against NCAA rules. Additionally, Elston was improperly given a T-shirt and drawstring backpack by the IU staff. Elston’s coach reimbursed the University for the cost of the items.\nSampson also responded to the NCAA Committee on Infractions and will be at the NCAA hearing on June 14.\n“I cannot adequately describe in words how stunned I was to learn from Mr. Greenspan later that summer that the compliance office’s review of my staff’s phone records had revealed possible violations,” Sampson wrote Monday to the NCAA Committee on Infractions in a letter obtained by www.cbssportsline.com. \nThe University next outlined the self-imposed penalties, including reduced phone calls, fewer recruiting days off campus and fewer official visits, which are University-paid trips for recruits to come to Bloomington.\nThese restrictions were modified after Tom Crean became the new Hoosier head coach April 1. Crean has been allowed 10 days to recruit off-campus and the program will be allowed two official visits – measures the University felt were necessary because of the coaching change, according to the report.\n“The University believes that, although these limited adjustments provide necessary relief for the current men’s basketball coaching staff, all of whom were completely uninvolved in the violations, they do not alter the strength of the initial penalties in any material way, particularly since the phone call restrictions remain intact,” the report said.\nThe report was the last step before the NCAA Committee on Infractions meets with the University on June 14. Crean is scheduled to attend the hearing, but has told reporters various times that he is unsure of what role, if any, he will play in the hearing. About a month after the June hearing, the committee will release its findings and levy any additional punishment if it sees fit.