Angel Escobedo wins Olympic Regional Trial

Angel Escobedo now sits one tournament title away from achieving one of his life-long dreams – shipping his skills from Bloomingotn to Beijing for the 2008 Summer Olympics.\nEscobedo has a laundry list of accolades in the sport he has dominated from a young age. In high school, the Griffith, Ind., native won four consecutive state championships. \nLast season, the junior finished with a 34-1 record and earned himself the sport’s ‘triple crown’ – victories at the Midlands Championships, the Big Ten Championships and the NCAA Championships. Competing in the Olympics would only add to that list.\n“We are very proud of Angel,” IU Head Coach Duane Goldman said, in a statement. “He has always had his sights set on making an Olympic team, and for him to progress to this level already is impressive.”\nEscobedo won his Olympic Regional Trial on May 10 in Waterloo, Iowa, earning him a spot in the U.S. Olympic Team Trials in June.\nIn order to qualify for the Olympic Trials, one must have either placed in the top seven at the U.S. Senior Nationals, which were held in Las Vegas on April 28, win the USA Wrestling University National Championship or win one of the four Regionals.\nEscobedo chose the last path, and will be one of 12 competitors in the 55 kg (121-pounds) weight division vying for a shot at Olympic gold in Beijing.\n“There are no breaks for this guy,” Goldman said. “He won the NCAA Championship and has moved on to the next thing on his list. That is part of what makes him so good. I am glad that he is on our side.”\nIU assistant coach Mike Mena is grateful for the opportunity to coach such an athlete.\n“He’s a pleasure to work with,” Mena said. “He is that caliber of an athlete and a wrestler. For him to make this transition at this point of his career its something he’s prepared himself to do.” \nMena added a spot on the U.S. team could be a reality.\n“He could win the thing,” Mena said.