Students to fill up on pizza for charity

IDS FILE PHOTO
Freshman Anna Millies tastes a slice of pizza at Pizza Mania Friday, April 13, 2007 in Dunn Meadow.

For $7, students will be able to stuff themselves full of pizza from 1 to 4 p.m. Friday during the second-annual pizza-tasting competition put on by the student group Pizza Mania.\nPizza Mania was started by four business students last year, said junior Elisabeth Millar, Pizza Mania’s marketing manager. The competition will feature pizzas from 12 area pizzerias that students will be able to taste and vote on.\n“The 12 pizzerias have donated over 300 pizzas and 1,000 breadsticks,” Millar said.\nThe proceeds from the competition will go toward the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund, which helps veterans and families with injured military personnel, she said.\nThe event raised $3,000 last year, Millar said. Proceeds went to the Salvation Army and a Kelley School of Business staff member who had more than $100,000 to pay in hospital bills for her infant daughter, according to an April 16, 2007, Indiana Daily Student article about the event.\nThe pizzerias will have booths set up around Dunn Meadow, and three live bands will be featured this year, Millar said. A raffle will also provide an opportunity for students to win items from local businesses. After they get their fill, students will be able to choose the pizzerias with the “best cheese,” “best specialty” and “best pepperoni,” among other categories, Millar said.\nStudents also have the opportunity to purchase a ticket for a lower price before the event, Millar said. Tickets can be purchased for $5 today at a Pizza Mania booth set up in front of Ballantine Hall.