Spring exhibition starts for men’s soccer team with Louisville

Cardinals defeated IU 2-1 in fall season

Kelsey Peters

The spring exhibition season presents the perfect opportunity to get in shape, solidify lineups and avenge last season’s losses. \nAt 7:30 p.m. today, the Hoosiers will try to do all three when they face regional rival Louisville in hopes of notching their second win of the \nspring season. \nThe last meeting between the two squads left the Hoosiers unsatisfied, losing by one goal in overtime, 2-1. The Hoosiers struck early with a goal by sophomore midfielder Eric Alexander only three minutes into the game, but were unable to hold off the Cardinals’ tying goal in the second half. Louisville’s game-winning goal snuck past senior goalie Chris Munroe a little more than two minutes into the first overtime period. \n“Spring games are supposed to be laid back and less competitive,” IU coach Mike Freitag said. “I don’t think this one will be.” \nThe Cardinals’ tough defense held the Hoosiers to only four shots on goal in the team’s last meeting and only seven shots total. Louisville ended the game with 14 shots, six of which were on goal. Louisville midfielder Aaron Clapham proved to be one of the more dangerous players, as he had three shots on the IU goal and scored the winning goal. \nThe Cardinals are coming off their first-ever NCAA tournament bid. They defeated Duke in the first round but eventually lost to Ohio State in the second.\n“Louisville is an up-and-coming program,” Freitag said. “This is the kind of game I want for the spring. It’s a \ngood rivalry.” \nThe Hoosiers’ most recent victory came at the expense of the University of Illinois-Chicago, whom they defeated 3-0 off the feet of freshmen forwards Andy Adlard and Alec Purdie. Purdie’s two goals, the last two of the game, came in his first appearance as \na Hoosier.\nBecause of the soggy conditions at Bill Armstrong Stadium, the Louisville game may be played at Memorial Stadium.