Singing Hoosiers celebrate 58 years

Current and past members participate in Saturday’s concert

With the men wearing frock-tuxedos with white bow ties and the women sporting white flare-skirt dresses, the Singing Hoosiers dressed the part of a two-time Grammy-nominated concert show choir. Saturday’s performance at the IU Auditorium celebrated the Singing Hoosiers’ 58th anniversary.\nThe show included all types of music, ranging from jazz and Broadway all the way to contemporary pieces by Queen. It also included original compositions by members of the group. \nIn addition to singing and dancing, the Singing Hoosiers found time to entertain the audience members with comedic dancing and songs with funny punch lines. \n“I think the Singing Hoosiers did a fantastic job,” Singing Hoosier alumnus Ryan England said. \nThe Varsity Singers, “the choreographic unit of the Singing Hoosiers,” according to the Singing Hoosiers Web site, brought refined dancing skills to the table and enhanced the overall stage presence. \n“I think everybody is talented,” sophomore Vanessa Davies said. “The Varsity Singers are excellent.” \nThe show included more than a dozen songs. Davies said it was very impressive that the group performed so well and that it takes a lot of effort and talent to put it all together.\nPieces ranged from “Sit Down, You’re Rockin’ the Boat” from Guys and Dolls, a Mary Poppins medley, a Queen medley and two pieces by Hoagy Carmichael, an IU alumnus and jazz composer.\nSinging Hoosier alumna Alice Curry said director Mike Schwartzkopf did a great job with pulling the group talent together as well as showcasing individual talent. She said that the show made her want to be a Singing Hoosier all over again. \n“I’m enjoying every minute of it,” Curry said.\nCurry said she was a Singing Hoosier under conductor Robert Stoll, who was a guest of honor at the Saturday night’s concert. \nThe show ended with Singing Hoosier alumni taking the stage with the current Singing Hoosiers for a tradition that spans decades: singing the “Battle Hymn of the Republic.”