Phishing scandal could affect millions of Americans

Millions of consumers can expect to see extra cash in their bank accounts this year. An economic stimulus bill Congress recently passed will distribute roughly $150 billion to families and business across the country. The plan would favor those with children and those with low incomes. \nTo many unsuspecting consumers, however, the economic stimulus rebate could mean trouble. With the approval of the stimulus package, consumers need to be on the lookout for refund check scams. The Internal Revenue Service recently announced that individuals posing as IRS representatives are sending out counterfeit refund checks to consumers. \nThe IRS will never ask for personal consumer information through e-mail, said Better Business Bureau CEO and President Linda Carmody. The IRS already has personal information such as Social Security numbers and driver’s license numbers, Carmody said. \nFraudulent e-mails are used as scare tactics to urge consumers to submit personal information. Certain e-mails advise consumers to submit personal information to avoid an audit by the IRS, Carmody said. Consumers should realize that any unsolicited e-mails from the IRS are fraudulent and should be forwarded to phishing@irs.gov, Carmody said.\n“(The phishing scandal) is huge and it’s everywhere,” she said.\nIdentity theft is a serious issue and consumers should be responsible when giving out any type of personal information, Carmody said. Any communication regarding the refund checks will be done through regular mail, she said.\nStephen Miller, a certified public accountant, has already seen his share of the phishing scams trying to fraudulently obtain personal information. \n“I have had clients that have gotten the request and they have asked me if it is real or not,” Miller said. “I assume there are others who didn’t ask me and made up their own mind either way.” \nMiller said he received a couple of the fraudulent IRS e-mails himself. \n“They obviously didn’t know who I was,” he said. \nElderly consumers as well as inexperienced ones – typically college students – are more prone to being duped, Carmody said. The scams are spreading through all communication forums, from e-mails to phone calls.\nChelsea Hague, a freshman at IU, has received similar e-mails asking for personal information such as her Social Security and bank account numbers. Hague said that often she does not even open the e-mail if the sender is unfamiliar. Regardless, she knows never to give out personal information through e-mail. \nThe IRS is not charging tax fees or any other fees on the refund checks, Carmody said. E-mails that require consumers to wire money or e-mails that involve third party transactions are fraudulent. \nIf someone believes he or she has been targeted and is a victim of identity theft, certain steps should be taken to prevent further damage. They should contact one of the three major credit reporting agencies – Equifax, Experian or Trans Union – as well as their local police department. Victims should also contact their credit card companies to flag their accounts. Still, the chances of the consumer getting any stolen money back are slim to none, Carmody said.