IU social work students protest against law

Joint-adoption not possible for unmarried couples

The current adoption laws and regulations in Indiana will prevent hundreds of children from being adopted, critics say. Unmarried couples are ineligible to jointly adopt children under the current law.\nUnder Indiana code 31-19-2-4, a single individual is eligible to adopt; however, if an unmarried couple wishes to adopt, they are not guaranteed to both legally become guardians of the adoptive child. \nIn order to create awareness about these issues, IU social work students Hannah Hammack, Tiffany Gravatte, Emily Sabine and Dan Niederman organized a march in celebration of adoption Thursday at the Sample Gates.\nThe marchers carried several different signs with phrases such as “Don’t let a child lose a parent” and “Build stronger families.”\nThe group emphasized that children need to be protected from the law which says that adopted children do not have rights to see their second parent after separation. The law states that only the parent who has legal rights of adoption to the child has the visitation rights. \n“Marriage is not required to be a good parent,” said Hammack, one of the project leaders.\nProject leaders advise those supporting adoption, regardless of marital status, to contact their state officials and voice concerns on this matter. \nIn many situations, children are already living with non-married parents, Sabine said. Changing the law would allow more rights to both parents and prevent either parent from being separated from their children, she said.\nThe supporters handed out pamphlets during the march that listed several negative effects the current law could have on children and their parents. In many instances, children are being separated from their parents, negatively affecting the child’s well-being. \nHammack said the worst part of the whole situation is that many homeless children need a home and a loving family, but will be unable to get one because of this law.\n“I thought (the march) was a great idea,” said Bruce McCallister, coordinator of the Student Outreach program that’s associated with the school of social work.\nMcCallister said a lot of social work values were present at the march. Many often overlook helping children find a safe home and advocating for children’s rights, he said.\nThe project leaders hope that through changing adoption codes and regulations, many children across Indiana will be given the chance for a more stable family environment.\nNiederman, a project leader, said he wants more adoption opportunities presented to unmarried couples. He said more access to the second parent after “parental separation” can only benefit the healthy development of the child.