Culture Shock goes off without a hitch

Ted Somerville

Fifteen bands representing diverse musical genres from hip-hop to indie jazz invaded Dunn Meadow Saturday for the 23rd annual WIUX Culture Shock. \nThe free music festival featured two stages in two tents. Festivalgoers watched a set in one tent, while a band set up in the other. The result was constant music. The tents were 40 by 40 feet and 40 by 60 feet, said WIUX special events director Jon Coombs. Show opener Impure Jazz played for a half-full tent at noon, but by the time headliners The Dodos and Beach House took the stage at 8:55 p.m. and 9:45 p.m., respectively, the tents were overflowing with people, Coombs said. \nCoombs was relieved that everything went so smoothly, especially after some last-minute power problems on Friday. Renting a generator solved the power problem, but weather predictions called for thunderstorms all day Saturday. It rained lightly for “maybe an hour,” Coombs said.\n“We couldn’t have asked for anything better,” he said. “(The weather) was gorgeous, and all the bands showed up on time.”\nIU senior Olaolu Jegede was at the festival for the better part of the day, and said the Chicago Afrobeat Project was a highlight of his festival experience.\nAfrobeat music originated in Nigeria, Chicago Afrobeat Project percussionist Danjuma Gaskin said. He described his music as “a mixture of traditional Nigerian rhythms fused with North American funk.” Nigerians also used the music as a platform for political beliefs, Gaskin said, and the band’s song “March of the Uninsured” was written in the same vein.\n“They stay true to Afrobeat,” Jegede said.\nGaskin said the band is fond of playing on college campuses because of the high-energy crowds. The band did a drum workshop on campus earlier this year.\nWIUX station manager Craig Shank enjoyed the whole show and said hip-hop artist Blueprint “stole the show” with his 6:45 p.m. set. Blueprint, the 33-year-old “old school” rapper, was the only artist representing hip-hop at this year’s festival. He enjoyed his time in Bloomington, he said while signing CDs for fans after his set. \nMahjongg took the stage shortly after Blueprint.\nBetween Mahjongg and The Dodo’s set, senior Kraegan Graves sat on a blanket on the north side of Dunn Meadow. Graves enjoyed local act Good Luck the most but was looking forward to The Dodos. Graves watched the entire festival.\n“Jon Coombs did a great job mixing it up with the bands,” he said.\nCoombs said his goal this year was to live up to the festival name and get as many diverse acts on the bill as possible.\n“We had jazz, hip-hop, world and electric (music),” he said. “I hope eventually we will have even more styles.”