Sunday, Oct. 6

The most wonderful time of the year

Still drunk from spring break?\nDid you barely make it to class yesterday morning?\nLike a majority of you, my mind is still not functioning properly.\nBut everyone needs to shake their spring break hangover, because it’s time to get on the ride of your life. The next month is the best in sports every year. And this year is no different.\nIt’s going to be a great ride. \nLet me break down what’s going on during this spectacular season:\nTonight, the Houston Rockets and the Boston Celtics face off. The best in the East takes on the best in the West. But what makes this special is the fact that the Rockets are looking for their 23rd-straight win.\nWith their win over the Los Angeles Lakers Sunday, the Rockets continued their improbable streak, which is now the second-longest in NBA history – behind only the 33 straight accomplished by the 1971-1972 Lakers. \nThe streak has continued despite Yao Ming choosing season-ending surgery 10 games ago. At the same time, Rick Adelman is a frontrunner for Coach of the Year.\nThe streak has been something we haven’t seen in ages but one question still remains – can Tracy McGrady win a playoff series?\nOn the other hand, there’s this guy named Tiger Woods who is one of the best in the clutch. Thursday, Tiger looks to continue his undefeated season when he defends his title at Doral. \nAfter watching him win with a 25-foot putt on the 18th at Bay Hill, I have no doubt he will make a nice run at this tournament, which leads up to the Masters.\nThe Masters should be the first major Woods will dominate this year, and hopefully he will win all four. He will likely be riding his winning streak into Augusta and it should be something special to watch.\nAs for the 95 percent of the world that doesn’t like watching golf, Thursday through Saturday is college basketball galore. The first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament should be one to watch this year since the bracket-makers seemed to aimlessly throw darts as a way of choosing the seedings. The bracket this year is so screwed up that my strategic way of making my picks by choosing the team with the lowest graduation rate might actually work. \nSorry, Cornell, Stanford and Duke. You’re just too smart for your own good. \nIf you don’t get your basketball fix by Sunday, then watch the Washington Capitals head to Carolina a week from today. Alexander Ovechkin is leading the NHL with 57 goals and can be the first player since Mario Lemieux to score 60 goals in a single season. At the pace Ovechkin is going, he should score goals 60, 61 and 62 in next week. \nSo hop on the Magic Bus or the Pain Train or whatever vehicle you want to ride during this magical month ahead. Just be sure to keep your hands and feet inside at all times.