Creative items up for bid in ‘Drama Prom’ fundraiser

Baked goods, massages, coaching sessions for acting and a chance to throw a pie in someone’s face are all items that can be won at this year’s Student Advisory Board auction for the Department of Theatre and Drama. \nOn Friday, the Student Advisory Board will auction not only material things, but also services from faculty members and other students.\n“Last year, we raised just over $1,400, and we’ve been raising increasingly large amounts,” said Noe Montez, a Student Advisory Board Ph.D. representative, who auctioned off a chance to throw a pie in his face last year. “Hopefully those are numbers that can continue to go up this year.”\nSome of the other items that made this year’s list of winnings include help with a thesis or research, cooked dinners, clothing from a talented designer and a designated driver who will “pick you up at the end of the night so you don’t end up with some shady cab driver,” as Student Advisory Board Ph.D. representative Tom Robson put it.\n“It’s a mixture of things that are useful, things that are fun, things that are silly, things that are slightly destructive – but responsibly destructive,” Robson said. “And a couple of things I can’t talk about in a family publication.”\nWhile mostly students from the Department of Theatre and Drama have attended the auction in past years, all are welcome to come. \n“This auction is just really calling up all of your friends and having them come together, like at a theme party,” said Jacob Dahm, senior and Student Advisory Board upper-undergraduate representative.\nFunds raised from the auction will go toward the Department of Theatre and Drama Awards Banquet, unofficially known as Drama Prom.\nRobson said they are always looking for people to auction things off.\n“If someone decides five (minutes) before the auction starts that they have something they want to auction, come up to someone who’s working it and tell us,” Robson said. “Look for people with clipboards.”\nThe auction will take place at 5 p.m. Friday in the courtyard outside of the theatre and drama building.