Colors take over IU

Adam Fithian

Brightly colored blouses, patterned skirts and bulky-chic jewelry appeared on the runway Wednesday night at the “Classic Styles for the Business Sophisticate” fashion show presented by the Delta Sigma Pi business fraternity at the Neal-Marshall Black Culture Center. Collections featured clothing from Goody’s, Express, The Limited and Macy’s. \nBold, vibrant colors are in this season for both for men and women, said Goody’s general manager John Senac. Models paraded down the runway wearing every color of the rainbow, ranging from white and lavender all the way to the timeless classic black. The edgy cuts were part of the whole “be yourself” theme Senac mentioned during the show. \n“Play with your cuts, accessorize your outfit; bag, coat – \nwhatever,” Senac said. “Pull the outfit together with your accessories.”\nSenac also made a point of telling the audience to investigate and understand the company and its dress ethics before making any bold fashion decisions. If people work in the entertainment industry they can get away with wearing a red dress-suit, as featured in the fashion show. However, if people work in the FBI, they probably couldn’t wear such a suit, he said. \nMixing it up seemed to be the underlying theme of the night. While guys are mostly limited to polos, shirts and pants in the corporate business arena, Senac said women’s options are more diverse. Women should not be afraid to explore their fashion sense and men should not be afraid to wear colors, he explained. Also, Senac said to invest in shoes because they “complete the outfit.”\nThe business-inspired collections featured bold colors and wacky-chic patterns as the biggest trend this season in the corporate arena. Shiny patent leather heels, oversized colored leather bags, body-fitting simple pencil skirts, as well as multi-color sleeveless blouses appeared often on the runway Wednesday night. \n“I’m happy and proud (of the fashion show) – and the turnout,” said Delta Sigma Pi fraternity president Charles Liles. The show directors approached Liles at the beginning of the year with the idea of a fashion show, and he thought it was a great way to explore the fashion in business. Liles said his favorite part of the show was the “What to wear to an interview” advice.\nSenior Adrienne Davis said she appreciated the variety of cuts and styles presented at the show. She said the advice was great and found Senac’s comments on knowing a workplace before trying bold fashions to be helpful. As a graphic designer, she said she has more freedom to be bold and liberal with the fashion choices she makes. \nWhile the clothes were bold and chic, the music during the mocktail party before the show had more of a tame feel; their choice – “elevator music.” \n“The elevator music went well with the business theme and it definitely added an upscale, elegant touch to the show,” freshman Sara Sidery said. \nTrance, hip-hop and techno music was played during the actual fashion show. \nThe set consisted of a black platform T-shaped runway with silver lining and the lighting was done in-house with no special effects. The mocktail party featured a table with an assortment of nonalcoholic drinks including “safe” sex on the beach and Shirley temples. \n“Informative” is the word sophomore model Chris Ignaut used to describe the fashion show. The outfits were great but working with people in the business fraternity was even better, Ignaut said.