Carson’s career-high saves fail to push Hoosiers ahead

Sophomore goalkeeper Katie Carson put forth an outstanding effort to rescue the No. 15 water polo team from falling to No. 16 Hartwick on Saturday. However, Carson and the rest of the IU defense could not save the Hoosiers.\nDespite scoring two goals in the final minute to cut Hartwick’s lead to one, IU could not gain possession in the final seconds and the Hawks held on for a 4-3 win.\n“As a team, we definitely didn’t play our greatest,” freshman Lauren Wyckoff said. “It was simple — our offense didn’t play well and we did not put the ball in the net.”\nHowever, Wyckoff said Carson’s efforts should not go without recognition.\n“Katie made some good blocks,” Wyckoff said. “She played a good game.” \nIU coach Barry King agreed that the offense could not gain control of the game. \n“We missed way too many passes,” he said. “We created a ton of opportunities, especially in the first half. We just absolutely refused to make the next play that was going to get us a goal.”\nHowever, King said Carson, who made a career-high 16 saves in goal for IU was terrific.\n“This was a very, very solid performance on her part,” King said. “It was up there with one of the better ones she has had.”\nKing also said as a whole, team defense was strong. \n“Bottom line, if we are only giving up four goals, we should be winning the game,” he said.\nCarson credits her performance to improvement with her nearside shot, but also to the team’s defense.\n“I think I did well because our team defense was doing well,” she said. “They were doing what they were supposed to do so they made it possible for me to do my job.”\nAs for what the team will work on this week, self-reliance is definitely up there.\n“I think we need to work in practice on doing things offensively that do not necessarily involve (senior) Brooke Zimmerman to be the one that finishes,” King said. “We have come to expect her to be the one who will do everything for us offensively, thus we pass up chances or don’t look at the correct things to make the correct plays, simply because they think Brooke should be doing everything.”\nIU will return to the Counsilman-Billingsley Aquatic Center next weekend for the Fluid Five invitational. The Hoosiers will take on Wagner at 7 p.m. Saturday night and No. 17 Santa Clara at 1 p.m. Sunday.