Boilermakers top Hoosiers 64-54 in Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals

B10 Indiana Purdue Basketball

INDIANAPOLIS — With both teams likely needing a win to keep their NCAA tournament hopes alive, the IU women’s basketball team and Purdue battled back-and-forth for 35 minutes of the Big Ten Tournament quarterfinals. \nThe score was tied at 50 with 4:25 remaining, but after 15 lead changes and 10 ties, Purdue started scoring and IU stopped. The Boilermakers went on an 11-0 run, ensuring a 64-54 victory. \n“They just put the ball in the hole and we didn’t,” IU Felisha Legette-Jack of the late Purdue run. “We played a great game for 35 minutes, but after that Purdue just took it to another level. It wasn’t because of fatigue or anything like that; they just played better than us.” \nJunior forward Amber Jackson led the Hoosiers for the second game in a row, scoring 20 points and grabbing 10 rebounds. But guards Jamie Braun, Kim Roberson and Nikki Smith never got on track and the Hoosiers struggled from 3-point range shooting 3-18 for the game. \nFahkara Malone was the difference for the Boilermakers on the offensive and defensive end of the floor. Malone used her quickness to score in transition and pester the Hoosier guards on her way to a game-high 26 points and 8 steals. \n“I was just like, ‘Let’s get her the ball’,” Purdue’s Lakisha Freeman said. “She did it all for us offensively and defensively. That’s what she’s capable of doing for this team and we expect that from her.” \nMalone said she expected the IU guards to try to attack the basket and took advantage of that to record her eight steals. \n“They’re a great penetrating team,” she said. “They all can take the ball up the court and go to the basket. I’m just small enough that I can get the ball before it comes back up to their hands.” \nIU held a 27-26 halftime advantage and led by as many as five points in the second half, but 33% second half shooting ultimately cost the Hoosiers in the end. \n“I think we were running on the perimeter too long,” Legette-Jack said. “We never tried to attack the basket the way we normally do. Sometimes you just have to get an offensive foul and impose yourself and we certainly didn’t impose ourselves on their defense.” \nAfter a crucial victory, the Boilermakers will face Iowa in Saturday’s semifinals with another chance for a big win to boost their NCAA tournament resume. \n“The Big Ten Tournament is a huge thing for every team that comes in,” Purdue coach Sharon Versyp said. “We came in with a clean slate and finished when we needed to, so this game was key for us.” \nOn the other hand, the Hoosiers are 18-14 on the season and will likely have to wait on a WNIT bid. \nJackson said IU came into the Big Ten Tournament expecting to win a championship and will use the disappointment they feel now to fuel them for next year. \n“It leaves a very sour feeling,” she said. “We’re a good team and we’re going to get better. It was a long season, we’re young, but this definitely puts some fire in us to take everything more seriously and know that we never want to feel this way again.”