Bloomington Hospital to give free nutrition seminar at public library

6 interactive nutritional displays expected at event

Carbs, calories and healthy eating will be the focus of Bloomington Hospital’s presentation, “Nutrition: It’s a Matter of Fact,” from 4:30 to 6:30 p.m. today in the Monroe County Public Library. The free event, which coincides with National Nutrition Month, is intended to educate the Bloomington community about healthy eating and drinking. \n“At the rate we are going, by the year 2040, an estimated 100 percent of American adults will be fat,” said Samantha Schaefer, a registered dietician with Bloomington Hospital’s community education department. “By 2100, an estimated 100 percent of American adults will be obese.”\nThe event will consist of six interactive nutritional displays covering the various topics, including portion control and food safety. In addition to the displays, a group of hospital dieticians will be available to answer any question guests might have. \nSchaefer said she understands the busy lifestyle of college students might not afford them time to prepare their own meals, but gave advice for making healthy choices. \n “You can fit eating out in your lifestyle, but do everything in moderation,” she said. \nSchaefer said as long as people make 80 percent of their food choices with good health in mind, they can be more liberal with the other 20 percent. \nWith sports and schoolwork, freshman Brett LeClere said it is “hard to find time to sit down and have a full, well-balanced meal.” LeClere said a typical day for him includes a piece of fruit and cereal for breakfast, pasta for lunch, and chicken and potatoes for dinner. \nMorgan Fleck, a clinical dietician at the hospital, said students should eat breakfast every day even if it is something small, such as a granola bar or yogurt. \n“These choices are quick and simple, but they are nutritious, low-calorie and are healthy for the eater,” Fleck said.