Storms rip through southern Indiana

Flooding could make situation substantially worse

Severe Weather

BAINBRIDGE, Ind. – A powerful line of thunderstorms marched across Indiana, damaging homes, knocking down trees and power lines and tearing the roof off a fire station.\nBut flooding could cause the most problems throughout the state as the National Weather Service was warning Wednesday that the Wabash, Tippecanoe and other major rivers will spill over their banks.\nIn Putnam County west of Indianapolis, the storm tore the roof off a fire station in Bainbridge and destroyed its radio tower Tuesday night. Barns and mobile homes also were damaged, along with several utility trailers.\nIn Greene County, southwest of Bloomington, the sheriff’s department said roofs were blown off several houses in Bloomfield. Officers reported a large amount of debris in trees as well as downed trees and power lines. The sheriff’s department said the damage resembled that of a tornado.\nHerman L. Walters, 82, was watching television in the living room of his Bloomfield, Ind., home when two trees crashed into his house in less than five minutes.\n“One of them blew over \nand it came right through the rooftop,” he said. “Then the rain and the wind was so strong it took the roof right off. I’m just darn lucky I’m here in one piece.”\nAn 80 mph wind gust was reported in Clinton in Vermillion County. Trees and power lines were reported down in Terre Haute.\nThe National Weather Service was investigating storm damage in Putnam, Greene, Jackson and Decatur counties to see if any tornadoes touched down. No major injuries were reported.\nThe storms followed unseasonably high daytime temperatures in the 60s, and were generated by the same system that produced tornadoes that were blamed for more than 50 deaths in the South.