Letters from abroad: Milan: Where Versace meets Verdi

BOLOGNA, Italy – Paris. New York. London. Milan. These four cities are known as fashion capitals of the world. Each hosts a “fashion week” every year to showcase the talents of the nation’s brightest designers. People all over the world model their wardrobes based on the wearable art that comes out of these cities. This weekend, I took advantage of the mere two-hour train ride to Milan to update my own style.\nInstead of enhancing my closet with a new pair of shoes or the latest Prada clutch (like I could afford it), I added several cultural experiences and important artwork to my mental repertoire. I was actually surprised by the lack of good shopping and the wealth of amazing art, for which the city is little-known.\nThe Galleria is an architectural neoclassical masterpiece, which was intended to house the major shops of the city. I was more impressed by the building itself and with a performance by a talented group of young street performers in the center of the Galleria than with the poor collection of high-end stores. I expected to find a central location containing all of the consumer attractions and was greatly disappointed. Milan is the second largest city in Italy, and the stores were scattered all over the map. I was never able to find the shoe store I was searching for, though I hiked all the way across town. The gallery on Via Farini in my own city of Bologna offers more convenient shopping.\nThe Galleria was a beautiful structure, complete with a domed glass ceiling and frescoed panels. Upon exiting the Galleria, shoppers are greeted by the great white Duomo of Milan.\nThe church is a triumph of Gothic architecture and seems to pierce the sky with its numerous spires. It is the second-largest church in Italy. It is the most famous church of this period in Italy and arguably one of the most magnificent churches built during its time in all of Europe.\nAfter walking down the dark aisles of the church and gazing slack-jawed at the stained glass windows, I continued my tour of the city with a visit to “La Scala.” This theater, which is recognized as the best opera house in the world, does not seem impressive from its exterior facade. But the rows of boxes ornately decorated with gilded panels and an enormous chandelier hanging over the 2000 seats give the interior an appearance of luxury. The theater’s museum is also worth a visit. It holds a collection of old instruments, costumes and portraits of the most famous historical figures of opera.\nThe most breathtaking museum in Milan, however, was the Brera Pinacoteca. This hidden gem holds pieces such as Andrea Mantegna’s “Dead Christ” and “The Kiss” by Francesco Hayez. Masterpieces by artists including Benini, Titian and Picasso greeted me in every room.\nI would highly recommend a trip to Milan, if you ever find yourself in Italy. Though I never found my shoes, in a city known for Prada, Gucci and Armani, it was a wonderful surprise to find Da Vinci and Puccini. There will always be Paris and London in the spring!