Letters from abroad: A feast for the senses

BOLOGNA, Italy –\nSuper Bowl Sunday is a timeless American tradition. Friends and family come together around the bowl of seven-layer dip and HD-TV to cheer for their favorite team. Even for the non-sports lovers, the half-time show and inventive commercials provide entertainment enough. While I certainly missed the rivalry and especially the food of the American holiday, I spent my Sunday in a unique way this year. I urge you to get off the couch once in your lifetime to experience a different sort of feast.\nThe theme to this year’s carnival season in Venice was “Sensation” – a celebration of the five senses. I saw the beautiful colors of costumes and masks. I could hear drums and the eerie sounds of pipe instruments coming from a Romanian parade through the center of town. I could smell the ocean breeze, and felt it sting my face through my own mask. I tasted sweet powdered sugar as the traditional fried dough of Carnevale literally melted in my mouth. And above all, I felt a strange connection with history as I strolled through the ancient streets and took part in centuries-old traditions. It was truly a smorgasbord for the senses.\nIt is difficult to describe the feeling in the Venetian air during the celebration. Never in my life have I experienced such bonhomie and freedom. There are no rules during Carnevale. Many people donned elaborate masks and exquisite lacey costumes, but others roamed in street clothes. I saw couples dancing and kissing. Grown men and women were jumping up and down in the streets in excitement.\nThe most irksome trait of Venice is that the city is literally overrun with tourists. The locals have moved out to make room for shops and restaurants that cater to the needs of international visitors. While the city still retains its charm – which makes it so attractive to outsiders – it always seemed to me that it had fallen far from its proud past. Naturally, during Carnevale, the streets and canals alike are packed with tourists. However, I thought that during this season, everyone was a Venetian. German, Japanese, American, French and Russian visitors all donned masks to take part in traditions too strong to be corrupted by foreign influence. Seeing this was refreshing.\nThe world is full of celebrations like the one I saw this weekend. Brazil holds the biggest Carnival celebration in the world. Islands in the Caribbean, countries in Eastern Europe and even Spain, Great Britain and The Netherlands have their own traditions to welcome the season of Lent. Mardi Gras in New Orleans is a party that is a little closer to home. Even if you can’t make it to Venice, I strongly recommend that you spend at least one weekend of your life lost in the revelry of this fantastic celebration. I’m sure the Giants would understand.