Working his way back

Jay Seawell

In his first significant appearance in three games, sophomore guard Armon Bassett played a key role off the bench in IU’s 62-58 victory over Illinois on Sunday. \nWith his ankle heavily taped because of bone chips, Bassett scored 11 second-half points on 3-4 shooting from beyond the arc. Two of the sophomore’s 3-pointers came at crucial situations with the game in the balance.\n“Bassett was huge,” Illinois coach Bruce Weber said. “He made some big ones down \nthe stretch.”\nA starter for most of last \nseason, Bassett and senior guard A.J. Ratliff are the only two returning backcourt players for the Hoosiers. Having that leadership and experience made a difference in the game, IU coach Kelvin Sampson said.\n“Armon has been in those situations before and Jordan (Crawford) hasn’t,” Sampson said. “Armon started almost every game last year, so he handles some things.”\nBassett has missed four games this season because of suspension and injury. In addition, he left early against Iowa, logging just three minutes of playing time before heading to the bench. \nGetting Bassett healthy is important, said Samspon, because of his ability to run the offense and the confidence he brings to the court.\nFreshman guard Jordan Crawford has filled Bassett’s spot at point guard, but has struggled with turnovers. Freshman guard Eric Gordon and junior guard/forward Jamarcus Ellis have also taken turns running the offense.\nBassett’s experience with the system helps him make big plays, senior forward D.J. White said.\n“He has two years under coach Sampson’s system,” White said. “He knows what Coach expects and he made big shots and big plays offensively and defensively for us.”\nIt is uncertain how long the bone chip injury will affect Bassett’s play, and to what extent he can contribute to the team day-by-day. He practiced sparingly before the Illinois game, but managed to play 18 minutes on the tender ankle.\nBassett said he has been receiving several forms of \ntreatment daily, including pain-killing shots.\n“It’s hurting, but I’m just going to play,” Bassett said. “I am going to have to play through some pain.”\nWhile important to the offense, Bassett really helps at setting the defense for the Hoosiers, Sampson said. Bassett has embraced this role and wants to be a leader on both sides of the floor.\n“Just toughness and ball pressure,” Bassett said when asked what he brought to the defense. “I told coach Sampson when I got healthy that I am going to change our defense back around. That’s what I was really going to concentrate on.”\nBut because of the injury to his ankle, how many minutes Bassett will play today at Minnesota, or in any game this season, is in question. Bassett said he would like to get about 20 to 25 minutes a game, but will play whenever Sampson calls his number.\n“As long as they put me out there, I’ll play,” Bassett said.