IU officials say green House bill too restrictive

An IU representative called for revisions to a new green construction bill which was introduced to the state Environmental Committee last week.\nJohn Grew, the government relations representative for IU, told the Environmental Committee that the University suggests the standards of the bill, H.B. 1280, do not apply to non-academic buildings and temporary projects, said IU spokesman Larry MacIntyre.\n“We’re not opposed to the bill fundamentally,” MacIntyre said. “We’re asking that the requirements not be so tight.” \nThe bill, which was authored by Indiana State Rep. Matt Pierce, D-Bloomington, would require all buildings constructed or altered under certain public works contracts totaling more than $1 million to meet a specific requirements, according the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design Web site. \nThe bill would require all buildings specified to meet the silver sustainable rating, as designated by the Green Building Council’s LEED method of rating.\nBy the time Grew presented his objections, they had already been amended into the bill, said Stephen Ashkin, member of the U.S. Green Building Council. \nAshkin, a co-author of the LEED ratings for maintenance, describes the ratings as measurements of performance outcomes. Unlike building codes that have specific requirements, LEED ratings give more points for things such as conservation of energy or water. The more points a design receives, the higher its rating, Ashkin said.\nIU had its reasons for asking that the bill be amended, said Paul Sullivan, co-chair of the IU Task Force on Campus Sustainability. \n“We do not think the standards are too ‘restrictive’ for new buildings or major renovations of classroom and/or office buildings,” Sullivan said in an e-mail. “But we have a number of specialized buildings and occasional specialized maintenance projects that don’t seem to fit into the LEED standards very neatly, so we’re not sure if we could comply.”\nAshkin agreed that sustainability is not practical for all buildings, because some buildings are not intended to last 100 years and commended the IU Task Force, calling them proactive.\nAshkin said he’s very comfortable with the legislation but encourages students to contact Pierce to advocate green buildings. But, Ashkin admits, this legislation would not address all concerns in green buildings.\n“Let’s address the major projects first,” Ashkin said.