Diwali: ‘The biggest holiday for Hindus’

Asian Culture Center to hold 'festival of lights'

Festival of Lights

At 5 p.m. Friday, the Asian Culture Center, with the help of the Indian Students Association and the Mathers Museum of World Cultures, will begin its celebration of Diwali, the Hindu Festival of Lights.\nDiwali is one of the most popular and celebrated holidays in the Hindu faith. Just as Christmas is celebrated differently in various other parts of the world, so is Diwali.\n“It celebrates the victory of good over evil,” said Babita Upadhyay, Asian Culture Center program and administration assistant. “Lamps are lit as symbols of hope for humankind.”\nThe ceremony will last until 6:30 p.m. Afterward, attendees are invited to attend a reception at the Asian Culture Center.\nThere will be a variety of activities offered for every age group and traditional Indian food will be served, including curry and sweets.\n“The ACC celebrates almost all the major festivals and holidays from various Asian cultures, and Diwali happens to be one of them,” Upadhyay said. “Through these celebrations, the Asian Culture Center endeavors to bring the Asian cultures closer to the University and Bloomington communities.” \nUpadhyay said fireworks are traditionally a major part of Diwali, but instead, sparkers will be used to show this part of \nthe celebration. \nAt the reception, students can learn to make “rangoli,” a type of popular art that uses finely ground powder colors to decorate floors and walls. \nDiwali is also the time of year for families to come together to socialize and strengthen relationships, Upadhyay said.\nIn her home country of Nepal, Upadhyay said that there are five days of celebration: Kag Tihar, dedicated to crows; Kukur Tihar, dedicated to dogs who protect homes; Laxmi Puja, dedicated to the goddess of wealth and Bhailini, where girls sing songs and go door to door asking for money; Deusi, where boys sing songs and go door to door asking for money; and Tika Day, the final day.\n“The main day of Diwali is day three, which is Laxmi Puja,” Upadhyay said. “It is the biggest holiday for Hindus, as important as Christmas is for Christians.”\nAlthough she cannot be at home with her family for Diwali, Upadhyay said he will still celebrate the holiday at IU.\n“I miss the wonderful food, playing cards, gatherings at my house,” she said. “Since it is the special day for brothers, back home my house is filled with my uncles and aunts. I can still smell marigold as every house is decorated with garlands made of the marigold flower.”