A mixed bag of Neil

Neil Young Chrome Dreams II Grade: B+

o one in the music world is more unpredictable than Neil Young. That's why his sequel to the scrapped 1977 Chrome Dreams almost comes as no surprise, being from a guy with a pretty strange track record. \nWhile Chrome Dreams had its classic tracks such as "Powderfinger" and "Like A Hurricane" spread through several different releases, Chrome Dreams II is a hodgepodge of outtakes and B-sides from old Neil Young albums and new songs. It turns out Chrome Dreams II comes through as a nice collection of the multifaceted Mr. Young. \nThe album opens with a newly recorded version of an outtake from 1985's country-tinged Old Ways, "Beautiful Bluebird," which comes off as simply wistful, with its banjo and harmonica. Then there is "Boxcar," where Neil embodies a vagabond over a great minor-key banjo groove. \nThe album's centerpiece, the 18-minute "Ordinary People," was a long-lost and much-desired B-side on 1988's This Note's for You. It's full of blasting horns and slashing guitar and serves up 20 verses worth of classic Neil, almost making the album worthwhile on its own. "Dirty Old Man" is not its only single, but it is the sort of grunt rock Neil hasn't showcased in years. "No Hidden Path" is 14 minutes of sledging garage rock, sounding like a lost track from Rust Never Sleeps. Finally, "The Way" is backed by a children's choir and works well as a catchy and rather innocent ending. \nHowever, Chrome Dreams II has its shortcomings. "Ever After" is stale and lazy country, and "Shining Light" has Neil bordering on cheesy adult contemporary, as his more sentimental work has lost its appeal with age. "The Believer" has Neil attempting Motown style but coming up short. But even with its filler, Chrome Dreams II is the best Neil Young album since 1989's Freedom and is a nice return to his grab-bag albums of old. While it does not sound like Chrome Dreams or live up to those classic tracks, it is full of Neil's many signature sounds and is truly a return to form for the rock legend.