Trump’s planned golf course stuck in the rough

EDINBURGH, Scotland– Developer Donald Trump’s plans to build “the worlds greatest golf course” on a stretch of remote and stunning Scottish coastline are drawing opposition because the land is home to some of the country’s rarest birds.\nThe billionaire property developer aims to turn sand dunes at the Menie Estate, 15 miles north of Aberdeen, into a $2 billion golf resort with a pair of 18-hole courses, a luxurious 450-bedroom hotel, 950 vacation homes, 36 golf villas and 500 upscale homes.\nStanding in his way are the feathered residents of the beach and rolling dunes – seven species of endangered rare birds including Skylarks, breeding waders, Lapwings and Redshanks.\nLocal residents in the quiet nearby village of Balmedie are also up in arms at the proposed resort, branding it a “gated community” with too many houses which would spoil the bucolic atmosphere of the area.\nConcerned that his investment is about to be pitched into the rough, Trump flew into Scotland this week to set out his plans ahead of a crunch meeting later this month by local council members. He warned he would drop the project if the houses were rejected and claimed the course would improve the local environment.\n“Each and every golf course I have built has got awards for environmental protection, and I do not think anyone has got as many awards as we have.” Trump told reporters at a press conference on the estate. “I believe environmentally, when we are finished, the course will be better environmentally than before we started.\n“It’s possible I could lose a great deal of money,” he said. “It would cost a lot less money if we did not care about the environment.”