Online only: The Beatles Universe

Across The Universe (PG-13) Grade: A

You'll probably have to drive out of state to see this one

Jude longingly chased after Lucy, who told the world she wanted a revolution. Sexy Sadie sang the blues; Max fought in strawberry fields; and all the while, Prudence could barely tell the cheerleading captain she wanted to hold her hand. \nJulie Taymor's "Across The Universe" took the music that defined a generation and applied it to the culture, people, and circumstances that made the same impact. The result: a delightful cross between Beatles and 1960s pop culture references. \nMy only problem with this film: It isn't being released in Bloomington, or in Indiana for that matter. My Fandango search left me as sad as the kid who had just dropped their ice cream cone. I was lucky enough to attend in the great state of Illinois, just outside of Chicago, but unfortunately those who are continuously Bloomington-bound will have to wait for the video release. But that being said, the distributor's negligence of Indiana doesn't stifle the power of a good flick. \n"Across the Universe" mixed some of my favorite aspects of a good film: a great soundtrack, historical references, and witty non-obvious subtext. Subtle lines like, "Will you still need me when I'm 64?" as in the famous McCartney song and the illustration of a green apple a la The Beatles' record label Apple Records appear along side larger pop culture references to Janis Joplin, who is defined in the rocker character Sadie (Sexy Sadie), as well as Jimi Hendrix, whose is portrayed in the film as JoJo (Get Back), a guitarist whose first job is playing in Café Huh? (not unlike the real-life version Café Wha? where the real Hendrix played early in his career.) \nBut cementing the plot line are the love birds Jude ("Hey Jude") and Lucy ("Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds"), who fight to stay together through the brutal realities of the Vietnam War and the Civil Rights Movement, both of which propel prominent, moving scenes within the film. (Inside tip: Make sure you aren't refilling the popcorn bucket during the "Let It Be" scene.) \nThe Beatles' music, from "I Want to Hold Your Hand" to "Revolution" are incorporated perfectly into their scenes, and sang beautifully by the actors. Rachel Evan Wood, Jim Strugess and even Bono round out a wonderful cast and film, which left me craving for more. Though I loved their song choices, particularly mixed with the visuals they created, I would have loved to see "Help!", "Yesterday" and "Here Comes the Sun". But with 32 other songs, how could I complain?