More than 300 ‘Yell Like Hell’ to show IU spirit

The cheers for Hip Hop ConnXion: the Sequel began before they even took the stage last night as part of the Student Alumni Association’s annual “Yell Like Hell” student performance contest.\nAbout 350 people watched seven different student organizations showcase their dancing, singing and acting abilities starting at 7 p.m. Thursday in the Indiana Memorial Union’s Alumni Hall. Four faculty members judged the performances in three areas: use of the theme “Rock the House,” appearance and costumes, props and crowd response. The top three groups earn points for the Homecoming Grand Champion contest sponsored by the IU Alumni Association.\nHip Hop ConnXion didn’t disappoint, taking first after not placing last year.\n“This year we came out stronger,” said IU alumnus Mark Clarke, a dancer in the group. “It feels wonderful. It wasn’t even about the competition, but it was a great way to end the night. And it was a great first performance of the season.”\nJudge Eric Love, director of diversity education, said the Hip Hop ConnXion’s wide range of dance impressed him.\n“They did a lot of different dance styles,” he said. “It was sort of nontraditional and it was great. The shear number – they had so many people on stage dancing in unison. It was impressive.”\nClarke said Hip Hop ConnXion has danced in Chicago and even for the Indiana Pacers three times. To him, the most important thing is enjoying the performance.\n“It’s a good time,” he said. “It’s something we all love to do. As long as we entertain the crowd, we’ve done our job.”\nAnother dance group, IU Essence, took second place. Sophomore Yannicka Ghoston danced last year when the group placed third.\n“We were hoping we were going to take it home, but we still really killed it. We are going to win next year. We’re moving our way up.”\nThird place went to IU Student Foundation, whose skit featured someone playing “Guitar Hero” to Thin Lizzy’s “The Boys Are Back In Town” and Queen’s “We Are the Champions.” Their skit finished with someone chasing a Penn State lion off stage with a chair.\nTwo a capella groups, Ladies First and Straight No Chaser, were asked to perform during the contest.\nSome of the loudest cheers of the night were for Straight No Chaser’s song about “Facebook stalking,” which was a crowd favorite that depicted college students online social obsession.\nStraight No Chaser’s Andrew Landau said the song was written and recorded in one night.\n‘It’s our traditional closing piece now,” Landau said of the Facebook song. “I just want to make it clear how honored we are to be asked to be here.”\nAn impersonated Illinois basketball coach Bruce Weber made a surprise appearance during IU Student Athletic Board’s performance which was a take off of MTV’s “Next” and featured various colleges being turned down by the host. Weber’s pleas for a certain basketball player were met with a “Next” from the host, who added, “Eric is with us now.”\nLove said he enjoyed the performances but found it hard judge them.\n“All the acts were great,” he said. “It’s hard to judge something like this, but someone has to be the winner.”