IU mens soccer welcomes Spartans

IU riding 3-game winning streak into Big Ten home opener

After defeating the University of Illinois at Chicago on Wednesday, the IU men’s soccer team will continue conference play on a three-game winning streak when they welcome Michigan State to Bill Armstrong Stadium on Saturday. \nIU downed UIC on Wednesday by a 1-0 score, while the Spartans enjoyed a mirror result in their match that same night, with a 1-0 win over Bowling Green. Although they are ranked seven spots below the Hoosiers in national polls, Michigan State will walk on to Yeagley Field undefeated this season.\nAgainst UIC, IU struggled with focus in the first half. The Hoosiers had a hard time retaining possession off free kicks and throw-ins, resulting in a physical battle for control of the ball and the game. \nFour Hoosiers went down with injuries, including two who left the game. Both senior defender Charley Traylor and sophomore midfielder Daniel Kelly came to the sidelines with sprained ankles. IU coach Mike Freitag hopes the two can overcome their injuries before Saturday’s game, which he expects to be a challenge.\n“Hopefully we get some people healed up,” Freitag said. “MSU is undefeated. It doesn’t seem like it gets any easier, but we schedule that way. The Big Ten is tough, and we know every game is going to be a battle, but it’s nice to be at home.”\nIU came out refreshed the second half – a more focused and communicative team on the field. \nThe game-winning goal was scored in the 50th minute, when junior midfielder Brad Ring intercepted a pass just outside the box and nailed it into the back of the net. \nRing said he looks forward to continuing the team’s success in the conference this weekend at home.\n“This first home game is going to be big,” Ring said. “Hopefully we can knock another Michigan school off and get a win here at home.”\nIn their last game, the Spartans played well against Bowling Green, taking 11 shots to Bowling Green’s nine. \nThe game-winning goal for MSU came in the 36th minute, when junior forward Louis Stephens III sent a free kick into the Bowling Green goal. It was Stephens’ second goal of the season. Senior goalkeeper Chris Austin had three saves to notch his fifth shutout of the season. \nLast season, the Hoosiers fought hard against the Spartans before coming out with a 2-1 win in double overtime. \nYeagle scored the game-winner in the 107th minute.\nFreshman forward Neil Wilmarth said he is confident in his team. Although Wilmarth knows the challenge that Michigan State represents, he said he believes IU is ready for the Spartans, he said. \n“This weekend is going to be a real tough game,” Wilmarth said. “Hopefully we can get some fans out there. I think we’ll come out with a victory. I think we’ll be ready to play for this Big Ten game.”