3 Hoosiers compete at tennis invite

Matches mark beginning of team’s fall season

This weekend marked the beginning of the fall season for the men’s tennis team. While three players were at the Polo Ralph Lauren All-American Tennis Championships in Tulsa, Okla., junior Peter Antons and freshmen Santiago Gruter and Jai Yoon traveled north for the Tom Fallon Invitational at Notre Dame.\nThe three Hoosiers compiled a singles record of 6-6 and a doubles record of 3-5 on the weekend.\nOn day one, Antons got off to a good start with a 6-4, 6-2 win over the Fighting Irish’s Patrick Callaghan, a highly touted freshman out of Iowa. Antons then lost to Alejandro Staub of Western Michigan, 7-5, 7-5. \nGruter lost to Notre Dame’s Brett Helgeson 6-0, 6-2 before rebounding against WMU’s Kevin Hayward in a third-set super-tiebreak. Yoon, meanwhile, lost both of his Friday singles matches. \nIn doubles action, Gruter and Yoon fell 8-4 against Iowa’s Reinoud Haal and Tommy McGeorge. Antons, meanwhile, paired up with Notre Dame’s Daniel Schafer and also lost to a Hawkeye pairing, 9-7.\nOn day two, Gruter and Antons began the day with wins over Ball State opponents, while Yoon fell in his second consecutive third-set super-tiebreak. Gruter and Antons lost a doubles match to Hayward and Casey Cullen of WMU, but won 8-6 against Daniel Vidal and Joe Vallee of Ball State. Yoon and Notre Dame’s Schafer lost 8-1 to a WMU doubles team.\nOn the final day of competition, Antons and Gruter brought their singles records to 3-1 with wins over Iowa opponents, while Yoon dropped to 0-4 with a loss to the Hawkeye’s Walker Grimes, 6-4, 6-3. Antons and Gruter ended the invitational with a strong 8-5 victory over Purdue’s doubles team of Griffin Nienberg and Eren Turkmenler, while Yoon got his lone win of the weekend, pairing up with Notre Dame’s Callaghan for an 8-5 victory.