IUPD responds to possible gunshots Thursday morning

Subject arrested on preliminary charges of criminal recklessness of a firearm

The IU Police Department received a call in reference to two possible gunshots fired off around 4 a.m. Thursday. Two custodians called in after hearing a possible shot on the northwest side of the HPER building, near Woodlawn Field, said IUPD Sgt. Craig Munroe, reading from a police report. \nThe custodians, David Sparks and Karen Kurdzoilek, saw a white male suspect walk by after the gunshots, wearing a blue hooded sweatshirt. They asked him if he had been shooting off fireworks, but the suspect replied he hadn’t, but he had heard a similar noise as well. The suspect then left.\nFrom there, Munroe said the suspect walked to the gate at 10th Street and Fee lane to the limestone gazebo in the Arboretum, where he sat down. Sgt. James Snyder and Officer Joseph Amandola approached the suspect, who they identified as Christopher Conley. The officers then reported a strong odor of alcohol on his breath, Munroe said. \nLater, officers found a black Interarms ppk 380 semi-auto handgun located 60 feet east of the west gate of the Arboretum. The gun was found laying under a tree and fully loaded. An empty shell case was also found near the Woodlawn Field track, Munroe said.\nPolice believe the suspect fired the gun, then proceed to the arboretum and north to Fee Lane. The weapon was disposed during this time before the suspect was found at the gazebo, Munroe said. \nConley has been charged with preliminary charges of criminal recklessness of a firearm and public intoxication.