Hoosiers end 3-game skid

Jay Seawell

As the IU men’s soccer team took the field for pre-game introductions, there were three gaping holes in the lineup.\nForward Kevin Noschang, midfielder Brian Ackley and forward Darren Yeagle, the bulk of the Hoosiers’ offense the last two seasons, all sat on the bench to begin IU’s 2-0 win over Butler.\nOne of those holes was filled today when Yeagle stepped on the field for the first time this season after he tore his anterior cruciate ligament in the spring. He played in the latter stages of the game once the Hoosiers had the game at hand. Seeing him out there was a great sign for an IU offense that has been struggling to put points on the board.\nYeagle said it was great to be back on the field.\n“Amazing, the best feeling ever,” Yeagle said. “I couldn’t have asked for a better night than tonight.” \nIU coach Mike Freitag said he was happy to see Yeagle back on the field.\n“It’s good to have Darren (Yeagle) back. He was important to our success last year – and it’s a shame that he got hurt last year – but I know and everybody knows that he’s working hard, and he’ll be back in tip-top shape,” Freitag said. “What he needs is one hard tackle in practice or a game so he’ll get over that injury and psychologically heal.” \nAfter three games and 17 days, the Hoosiers finally returned to winning form after starting the season 3-0. Though the Hoosiers gained their first win in three games, obvious problems on offense were present in the first half. They couldn’t post a goal on the unranked Bulldogs for most of the game. The contest was a stalemate until midfielder Billy Weaver, who gained two big assists that led to the only two scores of the game, took control.\nWeaver said it was great to get over the losing streak.\n“It’s great to get the victory after losing three straight,” Weaver said. “In practice we all had a good attitude, and we all were really hard on ourselves for losing three straight.” \nIU sophomore midfielders Lee Hagedorn and Eric Alexander both scored within four minutes of each other at 64:03 and 68:26, respectively, to turn around an otherwise ugly game for the Hoosiers.\nFreitag said he was impressed with the team’s effort and Hagadorn’s play.\n“The effort was good, but the play was OK,” Freitag said. “I know we can play better. Hagi (Lee Hagadorn) makes things happen and makes runs that other people don’t run and has a good instinct for getting behind people.”\nThough there was room for improvement, the Hoosiers defense and junior goalie Chay Cain – who tallied six saves on the game – held IU together in the first half. Butler only attempted two shots with one on-goal in the first half. The Hoosiers continued their defensive dominance in the second half to earn the shutout.\nFreitag said he was impressed with Cain’s performance.\n“I gave (goalkeeper Chay Cain) compliments in the locker room,” Freitag said. “In the second half, they had a couple of good shots and he was ready to play.”