Underground Kingz Grade: A-

UGK makes a potential classic

n 2007, the formula for a successful rap album looks something like this: One "chopped and screwed" song, two "snap" tracks and three appearances by Akon. Southern greats UGK abandon this mold for one of the year's most refreshing releases, Underground Kingz. Kingz is an uncompromising effort that reunites members Pimp C and Bun B for their first album since 2001 for more tales of pimping, crime and extravagance that fans have come to expect over the last two decades.\nThe album's excellence lies in UGK's ability to showcase equal parts of past, present and future in their songs. The music is deeply rooted in '60s and '70s soul, sounding like a lost album from the Stax/Volt label. \n"International Players Anthem" is a song-of-the-year candidate and the most complete example of what Kingz is about. Flawless verses by UGK and a fantastic rap from OutKast's Andre 3000, coupled with an outstanding Willie Hutch sample, create the most enjoyable anthem since since Francis Scott Key wrote "The Star-Spangled Banner." The only downside is that it's the second track on the album, making every other great song pale in comparison. \nKingz is not without flaws. UGK recycles several lyrics throughout its 29 tracks and they spend too much time calling out "MySpace haters." Furthermore, clocking in at more than two hours, it's hard to ingest in one sitting. Finally, outside producers like Lil Jon are clueless about working with these slow-speaking, drawling MCs. As is, it's a great album best listened to in chunks that will leave a lasting influence on future generations of pimps, pushers, hustlers and those who rap about them.