Bloomington man arrested for drug dealing, gun sale

Suspect also booked for falsely reporting a robbery

A Bloomington resident was arrested Wednesday night after falsely informing officers he witnessed a robbery.\nKevin G. New, 19, faces preliminary charges of dealing a schedule-IV controlled substance, two counts of possession of a schedule-IV controlled substance, false informing, possession of a handgun without a license and prohibited sale transfer of a handgun, Bloomington Police Department Sgt. Jeff Canada said, reading from a police report.\nAccording to the report, BPD Officer Scott Myers was dispatched at about 11 p.m. Wednesday to the 4000 block of West Vernal Pike, where he met New and a woman. New told officers he witnessed a robbery at Kingston Manor, 3200 E. Longview Ave, Canada said. Myers said in the report that New appeared to be intoxicated.\nNew told officers he was in the area when he noticed two men at a stop sign. He said he saw one man give the other a handgun, and the man who’d received the gun ran off with it.\nMyers said New changed his story several times and began to get nervous while talking to him, Canada said. \nMyers questioned the woman, who told Myers that she drove New to Kingston Manor to sell drugs. She told Myers that New met up with a black man and went behind a building to sell the drugs, Canada said. She told Myers that she then saw the black man running across the parking lot. When New returned, he told her the man stole his drugs at gunpoint, Canada said.\nMyers questioned New again and he admitted to being robbed while selling drugs, Canada said. Myers searched New’s truck, where he found prescription Lortab and Klonopin. Myers did not locate the handgun but did find a holster and ammunition in the car, Canada said.\nNew was transported to the Monroe County Jail and is being held on a 20,000 surety bond and $500 cash.