Ball State will name new building for David Letterman

Famous alumnus graduated in 1970 with telecom degree

Ball State Letterman

INDIANAPOLIS – Ball State University plans to name its new communication building after David Letterman, a 1970 graduate.\nLetterman has often mentioned Ball State on his CBS “Late Show” talk show. The school has had a Letterman Scholarship in the Department of Telecommunications since 1985.\nBall State President Jo Ann Gora said the idea to name the facility for Letterman was first mentioned among trustees about a year ago but he was reluctant because he didn’t want the attention.\n“It is entirely fitting that the university should respond in (this kind of way) with this public demonstration of our admiration and respect for such an accomplished and loyal alumnus,” Gora said.\nLetterman’s mother, Dorothy Mengering, attended Monday’s announcement by the board of trustees in his hometown of Indianapolis.\n“I’m so thrilled that David finally decided to let them do this for him,” said Mengering, 86. “He’s a very special young man, and I’m very proud of him.”\nLetterman and Mengering, who lives in the city’s northern suburb of Carmel, are expected to attend the building’s Sept. 7 dedication.\n“I am proud to have been a student at Ball State, and I’m deeply honored to have this recognition for me and my family,” Letterman, 60, said in a statement.\nThe $21 million communication and media center on the main campus in Muncie currently houses Indiana Public Radio. It will open for students at the beginning of the 2007-08 school year, though some construction work is in its final stages. The building is expected to provide much-needed space for the university’s emerging digital media content production facilities.\nThe 75,000 square-foot building brings the Center for Information and Communication Sciences, communication studies, journalism and telecommunications departments under one roof. It includes studio and office space and will be open to students 24 hours a day.