Telephone counseling services still available after 40th year

University of Texas began services after 1960s shootings

AUSTIN, Texas – The University of Texas telephone counseling hotline is this week celebrating 40 years of helping students recover from any kind of emotional stress, from midterm anxiety to relationship splits. \nThe program, which began in 1967, is part of the Counseling and Mental Health Center at the university. During its early years, the line served as a general information phone line as well as a crisis management number. \n“We have always been under the impression that the service began in partial reaction to the Tower shootings,” said Chris Brownson, director of the Counseling and Mental Health Center. \nThe Tower shootings occurred on Aug. 1, 1966, when Charles Whitman, a senior architectural student, opened fire from the top of the Tower of the Main Building and killed 16 individuals. \nWhen the phone line started, mental health awareness was a prominent issue. In the mid-1970s, the phone line was converted to work solely as a counseling number and not for general information, said Greg Keilin, director of clinical services at the University. \nLast year, the counseling service took more than 3,000 calls, listening to students seeking advice or help for a variety of reasons. \nThe most common reason students call is to talk about a breakup with a boyfriend or girlfriend, said Wayne Wenske, spokesman for the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs. \nStudents also call to talk to professionals about help with anxiety, depression, stress with studying and conflicts with peers. Many inquire about information or referrals for help outside the university. \nThe University of Texas is the only institution of higher education in the country that has a crisis phone line with an accredited staff, as opposed to volunteers who receive only basic preparation, Wenske said. \nThe phone line is also available for students who feel they have a friend in trouble. Counselors will help instruct the student on how to help the friend in question. \nThe phone line is available 24 hours a day, year-round, including holidays. The counselors who take the calls follow a strict confidentiality code and, if necessary, will refer the caller to a doctor or schedule a consultation.