IU awards 25 students with Wells Scholarships

Honorary award one of the most prestigous offered

On July 26, IU announced 24 incoming freshmen and one current IU student as the recipients for the 2007 Wells Scholarship. These Wells Scholars will join more than 370 others since the first class enrolled in 1990, according to an IU media release.\nWells Scholars are nominated by their high schools or the IU Office of Admissions for demonstrating exceptional qualities of character, leadership and distinction both inside and outside of the classroom, the release said.\nThe scholarship is in honor of the late IU Chancellor Herman B Wells. Ranking among the most competitive and prestigious awards offered by any American university, Wells Scholarship students receive full tuition and course-related fees, as well as a living stipend for four years of undergraduate study at the IU-Bloomington campus, the release said.\nStudents who receive the Wells Scholarships go on to win more than 40 national and international scholarships, along with fellowships and grants such as the Rhodes and Truman Scholarships.\nWhen Wells celebrated his 90th birthday, he was presented with the prestigious scholarship program as a gift from his many friends and admirers. After his death in the spring of 2000, the legacy of the scholarship continues as the community of talented and dedicated scholars remains on campus as a permanent legacy of his educational vision. \nThe Wells Scholarship program offers special seminars, an optional year of study abroad and support for a summer research project or internship. In addition, the Wells program emphasizes close interaction with faculty, academic and career advising, opportunities for community service and contact with distinguished visitors, the release said.