Sunday, Oct. 6

2 crashes in 2 days injure 2 State Troopers

INDIANAPOLIS – An Indiana State trooper was injured Wednesday when a box truck slammed into a car as he was speaking to its occupants, knocking the officer into a ditch along Interstate 465, police said.\nThe accident in a construction zone came a day after another trooper was injured when a semitrailer sideswiped the trooper's patrol in southwestern Indiana.\nIn Wednesday's accident, Trooper Henry Kalina, 40, had stopped along I-465 on Indianapolis' northeast side and was standing on the car's passenger side speaking to its driver.\nState police spokesman Sgt. Ray Poole said the box truck's driver was moving from the center lane to the right lane when he may have noticed the trooper's car.\n"He swerved and instead of hitting the police car he hit the car that was stopped by the trooper," Poole said.\nKalina, who is a member of Gov. Mitch Daniels' security detail, was knocked into a ditch by the force of the impact when the truck slammed into the car's driver's side.\nHe suffered leg injuries but was alert and conscious when he was taken by helicopter to an Indianapolis hospital, Poole said. Two women and a child in the car were treated at the scene for minor injuries.\nThe truck driver, who pulled over a short distance from the accident scene, was not injured.