Observatory viewings not just for students

Residents can also view sky every Wedneday night

Bloomington residents and students can get a closer look at Jupiter and the moon every Wednesday night at the Kirkwood Observatory.\nLast Wednesday night at 11:30 p.m., a line of more than 35 people ran down the stairwell from the upper level of the observatory in anticipation of viewing Jupiter. \n“The moon and Jupiter are the only things out,” said 7-year-old Dustin Durham, who was there with his big brother from Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Central Indiana, Mike Zawilinski. “But I looked through it once and one star looked like a thousand stars.”\nAstronomy graduate student Nathalie Haurberg said the telescope is open to the public every Wednesday in March through November. \n“If the weather’s iffy or it’s cold it’s usually less busy,” Haurberg said. “But when I’ve been here it’s been pretty crowded.” \nBuilt in 1900, the Kirkwood Observatory has been a part of IU for over a century. The Observatory also houses a 12-inch refracting solar telescope which, according to the Observatory’s Web site, is used to observe and study solar phenomena. \nGabe Lubell, a graduate student studying astronomy, said the department’s graduate students are required to operate the telescope at least twice per semester when it is open to the public. \n“We all enjoy it,” Lubell said. “It’s almost a fanatical appreciation of what this is all about.” \nDurham and Zawilinski said Haurberg came running into the Observatory to tell the group to move toward the Herman B Wells statue to catch a glimpse of a space station.\nHaurberg and Lubell were not the only students at the Observatory. Senior Jordan MacDonald is taking an astronomy class over the summer and receives extra credit for coming to the public viewing. \n“I didn’t realize the moon would be so close,” MacDonald said. “I’m waiting for Jupiter to rise; we have to catch both to get credit.” \nHaurberg and Lubell adjusted the telescope to show Jupiter and its four moons during last Wednesday’s viewing.\n“You can see the red spot of Jupiter,” Haurberg said to the group. “We’re in luck; I’ve never seen it before through a telescope.” \nDifferent constellations are viewable during each of the four different seasons, according to the American Association of American Astronomers Web site. Through the summer, the public will be able to see famous constellations such as Aquarius, Sagittarius and Capricornus. As the seasons drift toward autumn and winter, Pisces, Taurus, Gemini and Cancer will be able to be seen.\nTo learn more about the Kirkwood Observatory, contact the astronomy department at astdept@indiana.edu.