Kelly Clarkson My December

Hot December

Clarkson is finally taking over her own career.

I'm issuing a challenge to my fellow indie rock snobs: Check out My December, the new Kelly Clarkson album. Not only will you be amazed by what you hear, it'll reaffirm the very values leading you to eschew the major labels in the first place.\nIf you haven't followed the past month's gossip, "American Idol's" most successful graduate has, in succession, fought with her record label, fired her manager and postponed her summer tour. The drama started because Clarkson wrote and co-produced My December herself and Clive Davis, head of Sony BMG (which owns RCA), didn't like that the album wasn't generic Velveeta pop. In fact, RCA went so far as to recommend that Clarkson include a Lindsay Lohan cover (which Clarkson rejected). \nHere's the rub: My December is surprisingly good. And I speak as someone who hates "American Idol" and couldn't give a damn about anything on 2004's Breakaway except "Since U Been Gone." Indeed, Clarkson might have produced the break-up album of the year.\nNow, it's not perfect. The lyrics are kind of bland (Clarkson could use the Poetry 101 suggestion "emphasize imagery and avoid cliches"), the rock tracks get pretty emo-derivative and it's all relentlessly dark (guys, you'll think twice about dating ol' Kell). But with hooks abounding, Clarkson's superhuman pipes and the whole proceeding's winning sincerity, you could well end up singing along in spite of yourself. The best of the angry-rock moments -- first single "Never Again" (with Clarkson's wonderful snarl "a trophy wife? Oh, how cute"), "Hole" and "Haunted" -- appropriate Evanescence's chilly effects and big choruses but ditch their dull, murky chug for buzzing garage-rock guitars and smart, subtle flourishes.\nAnd even better than the rock are the album's more unusual tracks: "One Minute" sounds like Madonna's "Hung Up" meets Nine Inch Nails. "Be Still" and "Irvine" are stunningly beautiful grooves worthy of Leslie Feist. And hidden track "Chivas" is a lovely, stripped-down, overwhelmingly bitter acoustic gem.\nIn the fight between artistic integrity and major-label calculation, My December represents a win from a most unexpected corner.