A letter for Dave

Dear God,\nI’m writing to recommend David L. Adams for a position in heaven.\nThose who knew him best knew a lot about Dave – sometimes too much. They knew to call him “Dadams,” never “Dr. Adams,” and they knew to get used to the phrase “I probably shouldn’t be telling you this, but ... ”\nBut if there was one thing that those closest to Dadams knew, it was that the man could write the hell out of a letter of recommendation. Dave Adams could glorify students in ways their own mothers couldn’t.\nThis character trait is rather emblematic of Dr. Dave. You see, writing a letter of recommendation is perhaps one of life’s most selfless acts, and Dave Adams was certainly one of the world’s most selfless people. He never directly benefited from taking hours out of his days to gush on and on about a particular student. Rather, he simply drew his pleasure from helping anyone he could.\nAnd that’s why I write you now, God, because for all the letters Dadams wrote – and I would bet there are hundreds – he deserves to have at least one written for him.\nI know the requirements for a position in heaven aren’t too exhausting, but I also know that there are those who lead good lives and there are those who make better lives for others. Dave was in the company of the latter. \nYou need look no further than the inundation of prayers that have reached your heavenly ears these past two days. I’m sure there are even some already in your company who can echo the sentiments of those of us still here on earth.\nGod, I am a writer. One day, I’ll make my living finding the right words to say. But as I toil over this letter recommending Dave Adams to you, I realize our language is inadequate for such a task. There is no adjective that describes the size of his heart, no verb to describe what we would do for him and no title adequate to represent what he represents to all of us. \nThere is only “Dadams,” a symbolic title for the countless students he’s fathered over the years.\nI, like so many, owe a lot to Dave Adams – if not damn near everything. I know people in New York who would say the same thing. I’ve even happened upon a stranger from Sacramento who would agree with me. \nYou see, this planet is littered with flesh-and-blood examples of why Dadams deserves a place in heaven. And these are the best ways to measure a man such as Dave – not by the sum of his accomplishments, but rather by the accomplishments of others who have him to thank. \nGod, I know I’m not the perfect person to write this letter, but on behalf of everyone who knew Dr. David L. Adams, I feel safe in asking that you please pave a path to heaven for the man we loved so much. \nAnd as a favor, would you mind paving it in yellow bricks?\nThank you,\nBrian