G. Love ‘makes lemonade’ at Bluebird

Courtesy Photo

A decade ago G. Love (Garrett Dutton) told a friend he would get a tattoo of “lemonade” on his arm if he ever got a record contract. Thirteen years and seven albums deep into his career he not only decided to get the tattoo but also named his most recent album “Lemonade.” \nFor G. Love, lemonade means more than just lemons, sugar and water. It symbolizes a time before he was famous when he would play the streets and make a pitcher of lemonade on his porch, where he did a lot of his “shredding and writing,” according to a press release.\nG. Love and Special Sauce swing through Bloomington after kicking off their current tour with a sold-out show at Chicago’s House of Blues to benefit charity. Tickets are $20 and doors open at 8 p.m. for tonight’s show at the Bluebird, which features The Expendables as the opening act.\nThe Philadelphia trio is made up of G. Love on vocals, guitar and harmonica; Houseman on drums and vocals and Jimi Jazz on bass. Bluebird will be treated to the intimate trio, but the three are bolstered on the new album by a number of collaborators including Jack Johnson, Blackalicious and Ben Harper. \nComparisons to Jack Johnson are frequent, but Bluebird promoter, junior Aaron Estabrook attempted to categorize the versatile singer and songwriter by coming up with a recipe for G. Love and Special Sauce. \n“It’s one part Johnny Lee Hooker, one part Beastie Boys, with some Jack Johnson and Bob Dylan thrown in there,” Estabrook said. \nBluebird owner Dave Kubiak said G. Love has played Bloomington several times, including last March, and Kubiak said he sells out or close to it every time. \nEstabrook echoed his popularity and said he feels G. Love is a performer unlike any other. He said that even though he’s gained popularity, G. Love is on the verge of becoming a lot bigger.\n“He’s one of those guys you’ll be learning about in rock class 30 years from now,” Estabrook said. \nG. Love’s albums and music have a summertime feel, and the artist’s recent blog posts reveal a man who’s excited about life, his music and is happy where he is.\n“I’m in a real comfortable place musically and in my life,” G. Love said in a press release. In regard to his latest album he said, “Lyrically, I wanted to talk about what I always talk about: finding love, making love, losing love, life and lemonade.”