Widow angry about misplaced headstone

Workers were unable to pinpoint body after burial

HOBART, Ind. – Cemetery workers have pinpointed the grave of a woman’s husband a week after they could not tell her with certainty that it was his resting place.\nThe superintendent at Evergreen Memorial Cemetery said they staked out and probed plots to confirm the spot where Timothy Boyd was buried four years ago. They then marked the location with two small orange flags after Boyd’s widow, Julie, complained.\n“It was a mistake. The headstone was halfway between the two graves,” Superintendent Rick Schulatz said.\nSchulatz said a headstone from a nearby grave was somehow moved, and that made it necessary for the cemetery to stake each plot. He said the tombstone will be set back in place.\nThe burial plot is two to three feet from a road on the cemetery’s east side. Tire tracks that cover the burial site also left Boyd upset.\nShe was directed to the same site last week, but cemetery workers could not confirm that it was her husband’s resting place.\n“I’m still upset,” the 30-year-old widow said. “I feel like I’m not going to be able to believe it until he’s dug up.”\nThe cemetery had donated the unmarked grave in the northwestern Indiana city to Boyd because the mother of five was unable at the time to pay for a burial closer to her home in Michigan City about 25 miles east.\nBoyd said she recently purchased two plots in a Michigan City cemetery and plans to move her husband’s body there so he can be closer to family.