LIVE FROM THE BEEHIVE

March 22, 2007 Edition

AUSTIN, Texas -- Last week while many spring breakers were lying out on beaches or waking up next to strangers, an armada of 15 passenger vans descended on Austin, Texas, carrying the more than 1,000 bands slated to perform during this year's South by Southwest music conference (SXSW to its friends). For four days music lovers were treated to a barrage of great music, from noon until the wee hours of the morning, radiating from Austin's famed 6th Street bar district. Artists across all genres were represented. On Friday night alone, attendees could choose from Public Enemy, Mstrkrft, My Brightest Diamond, Steve Earle, Daniel Johnston and The Good The Bad And the Queen. \nNow in its 20th year, SXSW has become a working vacation for the music industry. Record labels, magazines and countless other industry companies host constant day parties, evening showcases and not-so-secret after parties. Britons Amy Winehouse and neo-girl group The Pipettes seemed to be consistent crowd favorites, while sets by Stockholm's Lonely, Dear and Chicagoans Maps and Atlases had BlackBerries lighting up all over downtown Austin. And if music wasn't enough, during the day the Austin Convention Center hosted more than 60 panels discussing current issues facing the music industry, public interviews with legends like Emmylou Harris and Iggy Pop, a keynote speech from Pete Townshend and even a presentation by Talking Head David Byrne titled "Record Companies: Who Needs Them?" \nUnofficially, the theme to this year's SXSW was "the music industry is changing." Variations of this sentiment were repeated like a mantra both in the conference rooms and at the clubs. At the convention center college radio kids were grilling indie label reps about the effect of the FCC's recent payola settlement (mandating spins for independent artists on major corporate stations) on labels' business strategy. In the bars friends were toasting The Arcade Fire's recent No. 2 debut, and everywhere people could be heard whistling "Young Folks" by Peter, Bjorn and John. \nIf anything, the SXSW itself is becoming an increasingly new media affair. Around every corner crews with home-video equipment tracked down bands for Internet television interviews. The SXSW tradeshow featured companies claiming to be the future of Internet radio, social network-based playlist-building or music marketing. And The Pipettes likely logged 8 million home video uploads of their numerous performances throughout the week.\nA highlight of the conference for many was certainly the Thursday night showcase put on by local label Secretly Canadian. Hyped by a number of blogs, the showcase produced a line around the block, and the lineup didn't disappoint. Besnard Lakes serenaded the crowd still waiting to get in with a painfully short set and Catfish Haven played with two soulful backup singers, which added depth to their bluesy sound. Much of the crowd seemed to be there to see David Vandervelde rock through his set. Even Spoon front man Britt Daniel could be seen lurking in the corner, nodding his head in approval like the acting godfather of the Austin music scene. \nSadly, not all of the changes witnessed at SXSW were cause for celebration. The colorful Polyphonic Spree ditched their robes for a black combat ensemble. As "The Fragile Army," their music has taken on a more somber tone. Also, thanks to tightened visa restrictions and our friends at Homeland Security, much-anticipated performances by internationally acclaimed Rodrigo y Gabriela was canceled because Rodrigo shares a name with a banned criminal. \nNow, with another SXSW in the books, the summer festival season kicks off. However, whether it's Coachella out west or Culture Shock right here at home, nothing quite matches the pace and progressive spirit of SXSW.