Let them eat DVD

Ladies and gentlemen, I present the most underappreciated film of 2006: "Marie Antoinette." Those supposed people who booed the film during its Cannes premiere are idiots.\n"Marie Antoinette" (played by Kirsten Dunst) is a great relief from the overdramatic crop of biopics that come along these days. It's even hard to call it a biopic. "Antoinette" doesn't focus on the political ups and downs of France's most notorious queen, rather it uses the character as a device to tell the story of an imprisoned young girl struggling to live in her trapped world (cough, a young Sofia Coppola in Hollywood after being slammed for "The Godfather: Part III," cough). This technique does something most biopics fail to achieve. Because there aren't constant meltdowns, it feels as if we're actually peering into a day in the life of Antoinette. And what an interesting life it is. At age 14, young Marie is married off to Louis XVI (a perfectly awkward Jason Schwartzman) and expected to immediately produce an heir. When she constantly feels out of place and is ignored by her husband, Marie does the smart thing by going numb and becoming France's biggest socialite. This is the best issue of US Weekly you'll ever read.\nWhich brings us to the eye candy. I can't think of any film that's more visually appealing than "Marie Antoinette." Milena Canonero better take home the Oscar for costume design this Sunday and it's amazing that Laurence Azouvy and the rest of the makeup department wasn't even nominated. While the film was shot on location in Versailles, the crew was forced to supply its own furniture (the set is fantastic thanks to decorator Véronique Melery). Viewing all the intricate details will leave you in a wonderful state of tranquility.\nCoppola uses an eclectic supporting cast rather than having everyone speak in French accents. Many performances such as those from Rip Torn (as Louis XV), Marianne Faithfull (as Marie's mother) and Judy Davis (as Comtesse de Noailles) deserved Oscar attention but weren't substantial enough.\nThe film is scored with a mixture of the obligatory classical music and more contemporary indie rock such as The Strokes, Bow Wow Wow and Adam and the Ants. This adds even more to the sensual experience.\nBecause politics are hardly ever mentioned, it is a bit awkward when villagers finally storm the castle, demanding Antoinette's head. This is easily fixed with the film's final image. Rather than showing Antoinette sent to the guillotine, Coppola uses a simple shot of a broken door, table turned over and slightly destroyed room to represent the end of an era.\nSpecial features include a making-of feature following Coppola (who really has no personality, but dad/executive producer Frances Ford Coppola shows up), a hilarious "MTV Cribz" spoof touring Versailles, two deleted scenes and two trailers (which were the best of the year.)\nRent the movie, take a bath, put on some pajamas, wrap yourself in a blanket, pour a glass of wine and lounge in luxury just like Antoinette.